Mark Childress, PC

Divorce, Child Custody & Family Law

Get Started With A


Main Menu

Creative Solutions

For Your Family Law Needs.

Subscribe to this blog's feed

Resolving child support cases in multiple states

There is a possibility that a child support order that was created in Texas will need to be modified in the future. The process of modifying an order may be more complicated if one or both spouses move to another state. Parents who are seeking child support in another state will be guided by the terms of The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). Typically, the state where the order originates will continue to have jurisdiction over the matter.

However, parents can agree to transfer jurisdiction to another state. In the event that only the parent who is paying support moves, the originating state retains the power to send notices or make other decisions. If both parents move, the state where they currently live has the ability to modify the current support order. If each parent lives in a different state, the one who wants to modify the order should do so in the state where he or she lives.

Regardless of where a person is seeking child support, it is important to establish paternity before an order can be issued. In most cases, an unmarried man will not be forced to pay child support unless it can proven that he is the biological parent of a given child. If a father is married to the mother of a child, the baby is usually considered his.

The best interests of the child are the top priority when creating or modifying a child support order. Therefore, an order is generally not going to be modified in any way unless there is a significant change in circumstances. For instance, an order may be changed if a parent loses a job or obtains a significant inheritance. Legal counsel may help parents pursue changes to their child support obligations.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information