Arlington Weapons Crime Attorney
Legal Guidance for Those Facing Gun or Other Weapons Charges
In Texas, individuals have the right to own and carry firearms. However, there are many restrictions on this right, and violating these restrictions can lead to serious criminal charges. These cases are often complex, and you should not wait to call an attorney if you have been arrested for a weapons offense. At the Law Office of Mark M. Childress, our Arlington weapons crime lawyers have extensive experience handling all types of weapons cases, and we can help you fight the charges you are facing.
Types of Weapons Cases We Handle
A weapons crime refers to any offense involving the illegal possession, use, sale, or distribution of firearms or other weapons. In Texas, as in many other states, there are various types of weapons charges that individuals can face.
Some common types of weapons charges in Texas include:
- Unlawful Possession of a Firearm: This charge involves possessing a firearm without the proper license or permit, or by someone who is prohibited from possessing firearms due to a criminal record or other legal restrictions.
- Illegal Sale or Transfer of Firearms: This charge pertains to selling, transferring, or otherwise providing firearms to individuals who are not legally allowed to possess them.
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon Without a Permit: Texas law requires individuals to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun. Carrying a concealed weapon without the proper permit can result in criminal charges.
- Possession of a Weapon in a Prohibited Place: Certain locations, such as schools, government buildings, and bars, prohibit the possession of firearms or other weapons. Violating these restrictions can lead to criminal charges.
- Possession of Illegal Weapons: Some weapons, such as certain types of firearms, explosives, or weapons with prohibited modifications, are illegal to possess in Texas. Possessing these weapons can result in criminal charges.
- Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon: This charge involves using a weapon to threaten or inflict serious bodily harm on another person. It is considered a serious offense and carries severe penalties.
- Unlawful Discharge of a Firearm: Discharging a firearm in a reckless or negligent manner, such as within city limits or in the direction of a building or vehicle, is illegal and can result in criminal charges.
Penalties for Weapons Convictions
Weapons charges carry serious penalties in Texas, and a conviction can have long-lasting consequences. In many cases, weapons charges are felony offenses, which means they carry the possibility of a prison sentence. Additionally, a conviction for a weapons offense can make it difficult to find a job, qualify for a loan, or secure housing.
Some of the penalties you may face for a weapons conviction include:
- Prison or jail time
- Loss of your right to own or carry a firearm
In some cases, you may face enhanced charges if you have a prior criminal record or if the weapon was used in the commission of another crime. Our weapons charge lawyer in Arlington can help you fight the charges against you and work to mitigate the potential penalties you face.
Defenses to Weapons Charges
If you have been arrested for a weapons offense, you may feel like the odds are stacked against you. However, there are often many defenses available in these cases, and you should not give up hope. Our Arlington weapons charges lawyer has successfully defended many clients facing these charges, and we can help you, too.
Some of the most common defenses to weapons charges include:
- You had a lawful right to possess or carry the weapon
- You were not aware you were in possession of the weapon
- The weapon was not yours
- You were acting in self-defense
- The police conducted an illegal search or seizure
Being arrested for a weapons offense can be a confusing and overwhelming experience. You may be unsure of what to do next or where to turn for help. At the Law Office of Mark M. Childress, we are here for you when you need us most. Our Arlington weapons charge attorney has extensive experience handling these cases, and we can help you, too. We will fight hard to protect your rights and work tirelessly to help you achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
My questions were heard and answered without having to ask twice.
“Value a capable team with experienced staff. For the past 9 months, the folks at the Law Offices of Mark Childress handled my case with class and empathy. My questions were heard and answered without having to ask twice. I felt like I was kept in the loop and always briefed properly. As I move forward with other ventures I wouldn't be surprised if we crossed paths again. And hats off to Konner, THANK YOU!”
Mark was there to answer every question, every phone call and did it in a way that I felt as if I were his only client.
“I needed an attorney who would stand up for me and my child during a very hard time. Mark was there to answer every question, every phone call and did it in a way that I felt as if I were his only client. He was very knowledgeable not only about the law but about the opposing attorney and the judge. He prepared me well and we won our case. I would recommend Mark Childress to anyone who is fighting for custody or in need of child support.”
I highly recommend him and his staff. They are courteous, prompt and they care.
“I called in inquiring about a divorce and how it all happens. I had 2 people call me back within an hour and in an hour maybe 2 I was talking with the lawyer. I highly recommend him and his staff. They are courteous, prompt and they care. Divorce is the hardest thing we will go through minus losing a kid and his team will be retained. He even called me back himself the next day to see how I was. Great service.”
This guy is amazing. In a matter of minutes, he accomplished what no other attorney could in 6 years.
“This guy is amazing. In a matter of minutes, he accomplished what no other attorney could in 6 years. He had my case figured out in 1short conversation and had what he called "a convoluted mess" fixed. I'm pretty sure my ex felt like he'd been hit by a bus. My family is finally in tact and everyone is finally happy.”
Direct Access To Your Attorney
Our Attorneys personally handle each case themselves. You will have direct access to your attorney to be able to get the answers that you need.
TransparencyHonesty and transparency are critical in building trust with your attorney. You will always know what is going on with your case every step of the way.
At our firm you're not just a case number, our staff will always know the status of your case and help to make your situation more manageable.
Personalized ApproachOur team understands that no two cases are the same. Your strategy will be tailored specifically to you and your family's goals.