What Happens to My Child Support if I Re-Marry?

Child support payors and recipients alike often wonder what will happen to their child support arrangements if they re-marry. Today, we're here to answer that question for individuals on both sides of the fence.

If you're involved in a child support case, whether you want to fight for child support payments or modify an existing support arrangement, we can help. To schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys, contact us online or via phone at (817) 497-8148.

How Is Child Support Calculated in Texas?

Texas uses the noncustodial parent's net monthly income to determine how much they pay in child support. Net monthly income is calculated by taking the noncustodial parent's gross monthly income and subtracting certain costs, such as social security and federal income taxes, union dues, and health insurance premiums, from it.

After calculating the net monthly income, courts multiple that value by 20% if the noncustodial parent is supporting one child to determine roughly how much child support they owe. For example, if your net monthly income is $3,612 per month, and you need to support one child, you'd owe about $722.4 per month in child support - $3,612 x 20%.

For each additional child, you must support, the percent by which you multiple your net monthly income increases by 5% (25% for two children, 30% for three, and so on).

Child support amounts can vary on a case-by-case basis, but the above process describes the formula most courts use to establish an initial child support obligation.

Will Re-Marrying Affect My Child Support?

Typically, re-marrying will not impact your child support obligation. Child support is based on the income of a child's biological parents, so whether a parent engages in a new relationship typically has no bearing on whether or not they pay for child support.

However, if you experience a substantial change in circumstances, it may be possible to file a child support modification case to adjust the amount of child support you owe. In most cases, marriage will not qualify as a substantial change in circumstances, but events such as losing your job, obtaining a promotion, or developing a medical condition could.

At the Law Office of Mark M. Childress, we can work with you to obtain an equitable child support arrangement that helps your child thrive. To schedule a consultation with our team or learn more about our process, contact us online or via phone at (817) 497-8148.

Related Posts
  • When Can I Modify My Child Support Payments? Read More
  • Can You Refuse a Paternity Test? Read More
  • Can I Write Off My Child Support Payments On My Taxes? Read More