Southlake Drug Crime Attorneys
Aggressive Defense from an Experienced Attorney
No one wants to deal with the stress and anxiety that can come with a drug-related charge. If you are facing drug charges, you are probably feeling overwhelmed and may be unsure of where to turn for help.
You need an attorney who will take your case seriously, who will listen to your side of the story, and who will fight hard to help you reach a favorable outcome. At the Law Office of Mark M. Childress, P.C., we are committed to providing personalized legal services, and to helping our clients reach favorable outcomes in their cases.
Texas Drug Laws
In Texas, drug crimes are taken very seriously, and the state has strict laws to combat illegal drug activities. The Texas Controlled Substances Act divides illegal drugs into four penalty groups, ranging from Penalty Group 1 (PG1) to Penalty Group 4 (PG4).
Here's an overview of each group:
- Penalty Group 1 (PG1): Penalty Group 1 includes drugs with a high potential for abuse and no accepted medical use in the United States or a lack of accepted safety for use even under medical supervision. Substances in this group include, but are not limited to, opiates, opium derivatives, hallucinogens, and certain stimulants. Examples of drugs in PG1 include heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, and LSD. Offenses involving PG1 drugs carry the most severe penalties.
- Penalty Group 1-A (PG1-A): Penalty Group 1-A is a subcategory of PG1 and includes only lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) and its analogs. Texas separates LSD from other PG1 drugs due to its unique psychoactive properties.
- Penalty Group 2 (PG2): Penalty Group 2 includes drugs with a high potential for abuse, limited accepted medical use, and a high risk of physical or psychological dependence. Drugs in this group may include certain hallucinogens, stimulants, and depressants. Examples of drugs in PG2 include ecstasy (MDMA), PCP (phencyclidine), mescaline, and amphetamines (not including methamphetamine).
- Penalty Group 3 (PG3): Penalty Group 3 includes substances with a moderate potential for abuse, accepted medical uses, and a lower risk of physical or psychological dependence compared to PG1 and PG2 drugs. These drugs may include certain depressants, stimulants, and sedatives. Examples of drugs in PG3 include Xanax (alprazolam), Ritalin (methylphenidate), and anabolic steroids.
- Penalty Group 4 (PG4): Penalty Group 4 includes substances with a lower potential for abuse than drugs in the previous groups, accepted medical uses, and a limited risk of physical or psychological dependence. Drugs in this group are generally considered to have a low abuse potential. Examples of drugs in PG4 include compounds containing non-narcotic medicinal ingredients, such as cough suppressants with codeine.
Drug Charges in Texas
Here is an overview of the drug crime laws in Texas:
- Possession of Controlled Substances: Possession of illegal drugs is a serious offense in Texas. The penalties vary depending on the drug's penalty group and the amount possessed. For example, possession of a small amount of marijuana may result in a misdemeanor charge, while possession of larger amounts or other illegal substances can lead to felony charges.
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia: Possession of equipment or tools used for drug manufacturing, distribution, or consumption can result in criminal charges, even if no drugs are found.
- Drug Trafficking and Distribution: Selling, delivering, or distributing illegal drugs in Texas is a felony offense and can lead to severe penalties, especially for larger quantities and more dangerous drugs.
- Drug Manufacturing: Manufacturing or cultivating illegal drugs is a serious crime in Texas and is usually charged as a felony.
- Prescription Drug Fraud: Illegally obtaining prescription medications or forging prescriptions is a crime and can result in criminal charges.
The penalties for drug offenses depend on the specific drug and the amount involved. Certain factors, such as selling drugs near schools or involving minors in drug-related activities, can lead to enhanced penalties upon conviction.
Protect Your Future - Contact Us Today
If you are facing drug charges in Southlake, Texas, it is crucial to have a skilled and experienced attorney by your side to protect your rights and defend your case. At the Law Office Of Mark M. Childress, we understand the serious consequences that drug crime convictions can entail, and we are committed to providing aggressive and effective legal representation to individuals accused of drug-related offenses.
My questions were heard and answered without having to ask twice.
“Value a capable team with experienced staff. For the past 9 months, the folks at the Law Offices of Mark Childress handled my case with class and empathy. My questions were heard and answered without having to ask twice. I felt like I was kept in the loop and always briefed properly. As I move forward with other ventures I wouldn't be surprised if we crossed paths again. And hats off to Konner, THANK YOU!”
Mark was there to answer every question, every phone call and did it in a way that I felt as if I were his only client.
“I needed an attorney who would stand up for me and my child during a very hard time. Mark was there to answer every question, every phone call and did it in a way that I felt as if I were his only client. He was very knowledgeable not only about the law but about the opposing attorney and the judge. He prepared me well and we won our case. I would recommend Mark Childress to anyone who is fighting for custody or in need of child support.”
I highly recommend him and his staff. They are courteous, prompt and they care.
“I called in inquiring about a divorce and how it all happens. I had 2 people call me back within an hour and in an hour maybe 2 I was talking with the lawyer. I highly recommend him and his staff. They are courteous, prompt and they care. Divorce is the hardest thing we will go through minus losing a kid and his team will be retained. He even called me back himself the next day to see how I was. Great service.”
This guy is amazing. In a matter of minutes, he accomplished what no other attorney could in 6 years.
“This guy is amazing. In a matter of minutes, he accomplished what no other attorney could in 6 years. He had my case figured out in 1short conversation and had what he called "a convoluted mess" fixed. I'm pretty sure my ex felt like he'd been hit by a bus. My family is finally in tact and everyone is finally happy.”
Direct Access To Your Attorney
Our Attorneys personally handle each case themselves. You will have direct access to your attorney to be able to get the answers that you need.
TransparencyHonesty and transparency are critical in building trust with your attorney. You will always know what is going on with your case every step of the way.
At our firm you're not just a case number, our staff will always know the status of your case and help to make your situation more manageable.
Personalized ApproachOur team understands that no two cases are the same. Your strategy will be tailored specifically to you and your family's goals.