Domestic Violence Defense Attorney in Southlake, TX
Being accused of domestic violence can drastically impact your life. Not only can a conviction lead to fines and jail time, but it can also affect your reputation among family and friends as well as influence future job options.
In Texas, domestic violence is actually a charge of “assault on a family member”. The term “family member” is extremely broad and encompasses:
- Members of your family, including both biological and non-biological members—even those who are estranged.
- Romantic partners, both past and present, and even if you are/were only dating casually.
- Members of your household, including roommates or in-laws.
If any of the above individuals have accused you of inflicting bodily harm, aggravated domestic assault, or continuous violence, an experienced criminal defense attorney can help you navigate these charges and develop a strategy to protect your rights.
At Law Offices Of Mark M. Childress, we are committed to providing strong legal representation for those facing domestic violence charges in Southlake, Texas and the surrounding areas. Our legal team provides compassionate service with an understanding of how emotionally taxing this process can be and creates customized defense strategies that take into account every aspect of your unique situation.
Reach out to our experienced legal team today by calling (817) 497-8148.
Penalties for Domestic Violence Convictions in Texas
The penalties associated with assault on a family member are highly dependent on several factors, including whether a weapon was used during the alleged incident, the seriousness of the bodily injury of the alleged victim, and if you have previous convictions.
Criminal offenses and associated consequences may look like:
- 3rd Degree Felony Domestic Assault: Might result in incarceration between 2 to 10 years and a fine of up to $10,000.
- 2nd Degree Felony Domestic Assault: This can involve incarceration for 2 to 20 years and up to $10,000 in fines.
It’s important to note that penalties can go beyond fines and jail time and if convicted you can also lose employment and housing opportunities, firearm rights, and child custody rights—impacting your life for years to come. This means that if you are facing inaccurate accusations it’s important to choose an attorney to help you build a strong defense.
Innovative & Personalized Domestic Violence Defense Options
A conviction requires you to plead guilty or a prosecutor to prove every aspect of the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. A trusted criminal defense attorney is on your side to poke holes in the prosecutor’s case and mount a defense that takes into account your side of the story. No two cases are identical, which means defense strategies should be tailored to your unique circumstance.
Four potential defense tactics include:
- Innocence: An angry or jealous former partner might falsely accuse you of domestic violence to impact divorce or child custody proceedings. Building a strong defense might look like gathering medical records, alibis, witness statements, and relevant character witness statements.
- Self-defense or defense of another person: This strategy might be pursued if the victim’s injuries were obtained because you were defending yourself or someone else, such as a child.
- Accident: In this defense, you won’t deny that the victim was injured, but stipulate that the injury was inflicted unintentionally. This might look like a family member slipping and hitting their head on a freshly cleaned floor. To support this defense, substantial evidence must be presented.
- Mishandled case: Maybe the alleged victim isn’t actually a family member, or the police mishandled the incident, an experienced attorney can find inconsistencies in the case to potentially get the charges lessened or dropped.
This is by no means a comprehensive list, and our legal team will work tirelessly to craft a defense that meets your needs.
We Are Here to Help
At Law Offices Of Mark M. Childress, our Southlake domestic violence defense attorneys pair years of experience with creative strategies to help defend the freedom and rights of our clients. Our entire legal team is here to advocate for your rights and will be by your side throughout every step of the process.
Call us at (817) 497-8148 or fill out our online contact form to see if our firm is the right choice for your needs.
My questions were heard and answered without having to ask twice.
“Value a capable team with experienced staff. For the past 9 months, the folks at the Law Offices of Mark Childress handled my case with class and empathy. My questions were heard and answered without having to ask twice. I felt like I was kept in the loop and always briefed properly. As I move forward with other ventures I wouldn't be surprised if we crossed paths again. And hats off to Konner, THANK YOU!”
Mark was there to answer every question, every phone call and did it in a way that I felt as if I were his only client.
“I needed an attorney who would stand up for me and my child during a very hard time. Mark was there to answer every question, every phone call and did it in a way that I felt as if I were his only client. He was very knowledgeable not only about the law but about the opposing attorney and the judge. He prepared me well and we won our case. I would recommend Mark Childress to anyone who is fighting for custody or in need of child support.”
I highly recommend him and his staff. They are courteous, prompt and they care.
“I called in inquiring about a divorce and how it all happens. I had 2 people call me back within an hour and in an hour maybe 2 I was talking with the lawyer. I highly recommend him and his staff. They are courteous, prompt and they care. Divorce is the hardest thing we will go through minus losing a kid and his team will be retained. He even called me back himself the next day to see how I was. Great service.”
This guy is amazing. In a matter of minutes, he accomplished what no other attorney could in 6 years.
“This guy is amazing. In a matter of minutes, he accomplished what no other attorney could in 6 years. He had my case figured out in 1short conversation and had what he called "a convoluted mess" fixed. I'm pretty sure my ex felt like he'd been hit by a bus. My family is finally in tact and everyone is finally happy.”
Direct Access To Your Attorney
Our Attorneys personally handle each case themselves. You will have direct access to your attorney to be able to get the answers that you need.
TransparencyHonesty and transparency are critical in building trust with your attorney. You will always know what is going on with your case every step of the way.
At our firm you're not just a case number, our staff will always know the status of your case and help to make your situation more manageable.
Personalized ApproachOur team understands that no two cases are the same. Your strategy will be tailored specifically to you and your family's goals.