What If I Get a DWI While Outside of Texas?

Facing Charges While Traveling Elsewhere

If you are arrested for driving while intoxicated (DWI) while out of state, the process can be confusing and overwhelming. You may not know where to turn or what to do next. In this blog post, we will discuss the basics of what happens when someone who lives in Texas gets a DWI while in another state. Keep in mind that every situation is different, so be sure to reach out to Law Offices Of Mark M. Childress if you have specific questions about your case.

Driver License Compact

The Driver License Compact (DLC) is an agreement between states in the United States that allows them to share information about drivers who have been convicted of traffic offenses. Texas is a member state of the DLC, which means that if you are convicted of a DWI in another state, your home state (Texas) will be notified.

Texas treats charges and convictions incurred in other states as if the same offense had occurred in the state. This means that if you are charged with a DWI while driving in, say, New Mexico, then Texas will view that charge as if you were charged while driving in Texas.


Whether the charge occurred in Texas or another state, Texas has harsh penalties for those convicted of DWI. If you are convicted of DWI in Texas, you can expect to face a number of penalties, including:

  • Up to $500 in fines

  • A maximum of 180 days in jail

  • A driver's license suspension (charges alone are enough to suspend your license, but a conviction could lead to a longer suspension)

Protect Your Rights with a Texas DWI Attorney

No matter where you are in the United States, driving while intoxicated is against the law. If you are stopped and charged with DWI while visiting another state, it is important to contact a Texas DWI attorney as soon as possible. An experienced DWI lawyer can help protect your rights and ensure that you have the best possible defense.

At Law Offices Of Mark M. Childress, our team will work to defend you against the charges you face. Learn more about our criminal defense team or get in touch by calling us at (817) 497-8148 or by visiting us online.

Related Posts
  • Can I Be Arrested for Carrying a Small Amount of Marijuana? Read More
  • What If I’m Arrested for DWI But I’m Not Intoxicated? Read More
  • What Types of Evidence Are Used in Texas DWI Cases? Read More