Mark Childress, PC

Divorce, Child Custody & Family Law

Get Started With A


Main Menu

Creative Solutions

For Your Family Law Needs.

Subscribe to this blog's feed

How to get possession of a child in Texas

After many Texas divorces involving parents, it's necessary for exes to determine how they will raise their children. In some cases, a parent will want sole possession of a son or daughter. To start a possession case, a parent will need to speak with the court clerk to learn the rules and procedures in a given jurisdiction.

Those who are going through a possession case will need to fill out a variety of forms and pay a filing fee. Once this occurs, the court clerk will issue a case ID number. This number will need to be referenced each time a parent asks for an update to the case. The child's other parent will also be notified that a possession proceeding has been initiated. The court should have a hotline or a website where parents can get more information about how to successfully open a case.

When filing a case, it will be necessary to provide contact information for both parents as well as the birth certificate for the child in question. A possession case will be scheduled to be heard by a judge as soon as the other parent is served. The person who begins the case cannot serve the other parent. Instead, this will be done by a neutral party in the matter.

When determining who gets possession of a son or daughter, the best interests of the child will be the top concern. Therefore, a parent may need to allow the other parent to be a part of the child's life despite their own feelings. Exceptions may be made in the event that a child is in danger of being abused or neglected. A family law attorney may assist in a possession case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information