Family Law Information

From Left to Right
*Staff, Attny, Attny Staff

At the Law Office of Mark M. Childress, PLLC., we take a personal approach to resolving family law issues for our clients. We know that no two situations are ever exactly the same, so we make getting to know our clients a priority. If you choose us to handle your case, we will focus on finding creative solutions that meet your specific goals.

If you have questions about your rights or the road ahead, you have come to the right place. Browse this page for answers or contact us with our Fort Worth lawyer. We look forward to discussing your divorce and custody-related issues with you.

Answers To Frequently Asked Family Law Questions

"How does the divorce process work?"

Once the Original Petition for Divorce is filed, there is a mandatory waiting period of 60 days. From there, how the process works is largely up to the participants and their willingness to work together. An uncontested divorce can be wrapped up relatively quickly, while a highly contentious divorce could last months or even years.

We focus on achieving favorable outcomes for our clients and their children as quickly as possible so that they can move on with their lives. We are skilled at resolving divorces in several ways, including mediation and litigation.

"I get along wonderfully with my spouse, and we are ready to amicably go our separate ways. Why do I need an attorney?"

It is wonderful that you have a spirit of cooperation with your spouse as you approach your divorce. But even an uncontested divorce has potential pitfalls. We will make sure you understand all of your options and their ramifications so you can make an informed decision about how to proceed. Learn more about uncontested divorce in Texas.

"Why should I worry about property division if everything will just be split in half?"

The idea that all property will be split 50-50 in a divorce is a misconception about community property laws. A judge can decide to deviate from 50-50 for many reasons. Even if your marital estate is split 50-50 by a judge, it is in your best interest to have an attorney on your side to ensure that the estate's assets and debts are properly valued to avoid an unequal distribution. Learn more about property division.

"My spouse is threatening to keep my kids away from me. What can I do?"

If you are a fit parent, you have a right to be in your child's life. We have experience representing parents from all walks of life, including parents who travel for work and those who work schedules that are far from 9 to 5. Learn more about visitation, possession and access.

"What are my rights as a parent? How can I maximize time with my children?"

Whether you are seeking sole custody due to the presence of an unfit parent or you are looking to work out an amicable joint custody agreement, we can help you achieve your goals. Learn more about child custody.

"I'm trying to make my support payments, but I just can't make it work. What can I do?"

We understand. Life is always changing, and divorce decrees cannot predict the future. If you have had a material change in your financial circumstances, we can help you seek a modification to your spousal support obligations. Learn more about modification.

Contact Law Office of Mark M. Childress, PLLC.

We welcome the chance to help you achieve your family law goals.